Forest County Resources

Click the links below to jump to the section you would like to view or just keep scrolling down the page.



 Child Care
Clothing Education




 Healthcare Housing








Free Cell Phone Service

The Lifeline program provides free or reduced cell phone and/or land line service to eligible households in Wisconsin including Forest County. Only one person per household can have a Lifeline plan. In order to be eligible for a Lifeline plan, the person must be a recipient of one of the following public assistance programs:

·         BadgerCare

·         FoodShare

·         Medical Assistance

·         SSI

·         Wisconsin Heating and Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)

·         Wisconsin Homestead Credit (Schedule H on WI tax return)

·         Wisconsin Works (W-2)


Wisconsin has a website with full information on the Lifeline program HERE. Click HERE for a federal listing of Wisconsin landline and some wireless providers.



There are a number of national providers for Lifeline including Safelink and Q-Link. Both have service areas in Wisconsin but that does not mean that the cell coverage is very good. It is advised you research at the above website for the best provider in your area. 

Back to the Top

Child Care


Wisconsin Shares (Child Care Assistance)

Wisconsin Shares is Wisconsin's child care subsidy program that helps families and caretakers pay for child care.  To learn more about the program, click HERE.


The service provider for Wisconsin Shares in Forest County is:

Forest County Social Services
400 E Madison St
Crandon, WI 54520

You can apply in person, over the phone at 888-445-1621 FREE, or online at 


Northwest Connection Family Resource Center

Assistance with child care referrals for the 14 northern counties in Wisconsin is available here, along with information on how to become a licensed child care provider.

(800) 733-5437

Wisconsin Child Care Provider Listing

The State of Wisconsin has an online directory of all regulated child care providers (certified, licensed family and licensed group centers).  Click HERE to go to the directory to find a child care provider in your area.


Back to top of page 


Christian Thrift Store Inc.

4529 N. Branch Street

Wabeno, WI 54566

(715) 473-6509



Back to top of page

Education Resources


Nicolet College (Wisconsin Technical College System)

Nicolet College offers more than 70 associate diplomas, certificates, and apprenticeship programs as well as a University Transfer Liberal Arts program.  They also offer basic education, college preparation and GED classes.


Online Educational Resources

For those who are interested in completing self-paced education from home over the internet, the following are some resources to increase basic education skills, job skills and preparation for the GED. 


Adult Basic Ed - PBS Literacy Link  


GCF - Outstanding FREE basic Ed and Computer training 

GCF Aprende LibreLIBRE educación básica en español!



Back to top of page

Energy Assistance

Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)

Assistance includes regular heating and electric assistance, as well as specialized services including emergency fuel assistance, counseling for energy budgets, and emergency furnace repair and replacement.  Please click HERE for information and eligibility requirements.  The local provider is



Energy Services for Forest County

300 South Lake Ave

Crandon, WI 54520

(715) 245-2400


Emergency Assistance

The Emergency Assistance program is operated under the Wisconsin Works (W-2) program.  It is primarily for housing crisis situations but also has an Energy Crisis component. In general, to be eligible for an Energy Crisis payment (of up to $500), an applicant must meet all of the following:

  • You must pass non-financial and financial eligibility for the program;
  • You have already exhausted other funding options and resources;
  • You need financial help to maintain heat, electricity, water or sewer provided by a utility company;
  • The lack of or imminent lack of one of those utilities is likely to be an immediate threat to the health or safety of any member of your EA group;
  • The energy crisis is beyond the control of you or another caretaker relative or has been found to have good cause by the EA worker. 

Forward Service Corporation is the EA provider for the entire NorthCentral FSET Region.  To inquire about Emergency Assistance, please call 800-771-8420 

Back to the Top


Food Pantries

The following are area food pantries that are available to the general public.



NEWCAP Food Pantry

212 North Lake Avenue

Crandon, WI 54520


(715) 478-3871


Hours of Operation:

Monday-Thursday:  8:00-12:00 pm & 12:30-5:30 pm

Closed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday


Wasmogishek Food Pantry

This pantry is limited to once per month.  There is both food and some personal hygiene products. No resident requirements, serving Crandon and surrounding areas. It is located at


601 N. Summit

Crandon, WI 54520

715) 478-2730

Hours of Operation

Mondays & Wednesdays: 11:00 am-1:00 pm

Fridays:  5:00-7:00 pm


Christian Food Pantry

Located at St. Johns Lutheran Church

17963 State Highway 32

Townsend, WI 54175


(715) 276-7214


Hours of Operation

2nd and 4th Wednesdays 9:00-10:00 am and 6:00-7:00 pm


The FoodShare program provides supplemental nutritional assistance to low income individuals and families. To more, click HERE.


You can apply one of three primary way:

---Online at

---Call 888-445-1621 

---Walk in to:

Forest County Social Services

200 E Madison St

Crandon WI 54520

Back to the Top


Medical Assistance

The Northern Income Maintenance Consortium administers a number of medical assistance programs including BadgerCare Plus, Family Planning, Community Waivers, Nursing Home and Elderly-Blind-Disabled medicare programs.

You can apply one of three primary way:

Online at

Call 888-794-5722

Walk in to:

Forest County Social Services
200 E. Madison Street
Crandon, WI 54520
Back to the Top


Emergency Assistance - Forward Service Corporation

Emergency Assistance (EA) provides funding to families with a child(ren) who meet all eligibility criteria. Among other requirements, to be eligible for EA, the applicant must be experiencing a current emergency due to fire, flood or natural disaster, impending homelessness, homelessness, or energy crisis. 

EA can help a group avoid eviction by paying a portion of past-due rent or mortgage or can help a group move into new housing.  The group must be at or below 115% of the Federal Poverty Level limit and have less than $2,500 in countable assets.  A group can receive assistance only once every 12 months.

Forward Service Corporation is the EA provider for the entire NorthCentral FSET Region.  To inquire about Emergency Assistance, please call 800-771-8420.   

New Hope Shelter

Providing short term relief to families, single men, and single women who are experiencing homelessness.


601 N. Summit Ave

Crandon, WI 54520

(715) 478- 3669



Northwoods Alliance for Temporary Housing, Inc.

Frederick Place

This is a 16 bed facility that helps families, single men, and single women who are currently homeless.  There are specific requirements a person/family  must meet to qualify for this program.  Please click HERE for full information. 

Serving Lincoln, Forest, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade, and Lincoln Counties. 

204 W. Frederick St

Rhinelander, WI 54501

(715) 369-9777

Back to the Top 

Legal Services


Wisconsin Judicare

Judicare is a non-profit law firm that allows low-income individuals access to legal help. Their main office is located in Wausau but they provide services to residents throughout the northern Wisconsin area including Forest County.


401 Fifth Street, 2nd Floor

Wausau, WI 54403

(715) 842 -1681

(800) 472 -1638


Back to the Top 



MTM Transportation

Transportation service to medical appointments (non-emergency) for recipients of medical assistance (BadgerCare, medicare or medicaid).


Call (866) 907-1493

For more information or to schedule a ride online, click HERE


Back to the Top 

Other Resources

Wisconsin Works (W-2)

Application and Resource Hot Line

Phone: 1-855-733-1311

Local W-2 Agency

Forest County

This office is open by appointment only
Forward Service Corp
201 North Lake Avenue, Unit B
Crandon, WI 54520

Phone: 715-478-6277
Fax: 715-365-7848


Back to the Top 

Address: Wood County Human Services - River Block

111 W. Jackson St., 2nd Floor, Wisconsin Rapids WI 54495  

Phone: +1 (715) 421-8608 8


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software